[oletrucks] 5 speed trans

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 5 speed trans
From: L1Chevy@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:23:05 EST
Hello Folks,

I just finished a project and I thought I'd share it in case there are other
people with the same interests...

My '51 had a 261 with a truck 4-speed behind it. Rear ratio is 3.53.
I was getting tired of the noise coming from that old 4-speed and at 60 MPH,
the truck was just begging for one more gear..

As I'm only an amateur mechanic, I took the truck to a local shop that
specializes in old chevy trucks..Paul's Classics in Portland, Oregon. Paul put
a five speed in, and its made all the difference..now, when I'm going through
the gears, all I hear is the split manifold and dual exhausts. And with the
close ratios of the 5-speed, it seems to perform alot better. At about 50, i
can shift into 5th and the rpms just plummit..a very nice application..the
costs were as follows:

     T-5 trans, completely rebuilt and modified with a tail section from an
S-10(needed so that the shifter doesn't come up through the
seat.........$850.00

     New complete clutch...$150.00

     Shortened driveline with new U-joints...$140.00

     Misc small parts.......$40.00

     Labor....$300.00

   I might still change the shifter as I think I'd like to have one with a
small bend in it....and I do need to find some kind of sexy knob...the stock
knob with the shift pattern just ain't gonna cut it..Anyway, it was alot of
money, but the truck is so much nicer to drive..Hope this helps anybody that
might have that same setup.

By the way, thanks to all who have made nice comments about my truck pics at
Waynes site..Its always nice to receive encouragement..

Dave Koon
'51 3100