Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank treatment

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank treatment
From: MPHUDAK@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:59:46 EST
Since I have been working at a motorcycle shop, i have seen alot of tank
treatments done.  Many poor jobs and others decent.  We try to keep customers
from doing "Creams", mainly because they don't take the time to clean the tank
properly.  The best thing we have found to clean a rusty tank is good ole
Muratic Acid.  What we do is remove all accessories , fill w/ acid (granted
this would be hard with a truck tank), slosh around, allow to set for a couple
hours.  Drain and refill with fresh acid.  slosh and allow to sit for a couple
more hours.  Drain.  With two acid cleans done, fill with clean, soapy water.
Then allow running water to flow through tank for about 30 min.  At this
point, if you wanted to, cream tank.  In the case of a truck tank, i would
fill with a gallon or two, and allow to sit on each side for about 30-45 min
each.  This will take a while to complete but you will have a completely rust
free tank.  I was lucky with newest family member, 54 3100, pulled the tank
and drained the fuel and to my suprise it was 100% rust free.  But my other 54
has a weak spot on the seam, which i don't know what will be done with it yet.

Hudak
2-54 3100
57 3100