[oletrucks] Gas tank treatment

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Gas tank treatment
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:43:49 -0800
Hey everyone-

I am just finishing a gas tank treatment, and thought I would share it with
those on the list.  Looks like a solution to a rusty tank-

-Pulled the tank and drained it
-Poured in 1/2 gallon of Ospho, sloshed it around, letting it sit for a few
hours
-Poured out the Ospho, including a teacup full of rusty metal, the
consistency of sand
-Dropped in a double handfull of nuts, bolts and washers, shook them around
for a day
-Took it to the carwash, spent about 5 bucks on high pressure washes, no
soap, lots more rust came out
-Bought the J.C. Whitney treatment/liner (2 bottles, 1 can) for about 38
bucks
-Followed the instructions, starting with the first bottle, to loosen any
residual rust, drained the rusty water
-Washed the tank out with the 2nd bottle, prepping for the liner
-Poured in the liner (White, about the consistency of honey), turned every
few minutes for an hour or so
-Let it dry for 6 hours
-Poured what was left (about half the can) back in the tank for a second
coat, turning the tank every few minutes
-Drained the tank
-Let it dry for a day
-Total cost about 50 bucks or so-Cheaper than a new tank!

As far as I can tell, I got a good clean plastic type coating.  Shouldn't
have to deal with the rust any more.  I'll follow up on this after I gas up
and see how the see-through filter looks in a few days.

Smokey
'50 3600 5-window