Re: [oletrucks] 5 speed trans

To: Banjomike@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 5 speed trans
From: Chris Dillon <dillo021@tc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:42:05 -0600
I think that all the Borg-Warner T-5 the common 5 speed in most S-10 and
Camaros/Firebirds of the 80's are 4 + 1 Transmittions so that 5th is
overdrive.  The other option for reducing RPM's is using the old BorgWarner
3 spds that have electric overdrive for every gear this gives you an
overall 30%, (I think this is right I have to check a book at home for the
right # for sure.)  I ran this tranny for a year in my 51 Chevy until I put
a new rear end in and put a 4-speed in.  These 3-spds are neat little
trannies, they came in Fords and Chevies starting 1955 and ended in the mid
1960's.  They are geting harder to find, but I do see them popup at swap
met now an then.  One last note neither one of these trannies are real
tough and graet for sixes, but I would use on a major powered small block
street rod.  Well I'll stop rambling, I really like this list and I'm
learning so much.

Chris Dillon
'51 Chevy 3100
'66 Mustang