Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery: Thanks to all

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiator Mystery: Thanks to all
From: Banjomike@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:38:32 EST
ALJ@hartcrowser.com writes:

<< ou didn't say what you took your "new" radiator out of.  The Chevrolet Part
and Accessories Catalog calls for a 3" core for 2 TONs (stamped 3121499), and
also offered a 2-1/2" and 2" core depending on model.  My bet is your bus had
a 3" core.  How thick was the core on your new one?  If it's less than 3", I'd
think that would make a big difference in cooling capacity.  Mike, I see
you're in the Inland Empire.  If that's eastern Washington, stop by next time
you're in Seattle and I have a 3" original radiator for you (I mistakenly
thought it would fit in my 1/2 ton) >>

First of all, thanks to all who replied, especially those who referred to me
as a gentleman.  Allen, if there is a way we can make a deal on that radiator,
I'd like to get it.

I have been suspecting the size of the radiator, but figured that since it
came out of a truck, it ought to work.  I measured the radiator core - its 2
", so this could be the problem.  I''m also going to the junkyard to get a
shroud, as well as put in a more modern temp gauge. I actually don't know what
the radiator came out of.  It was lying on the ground in the truck area of the
junkyard.  I picked it up because it looked to be in good condition.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I did put the thermostat back in
once I determined there was no effect.  I also checked the hoses, the belts
and the timing.  When I first had the radiator problem ( fan ate it up) the
frame was so rotten, the shop wanted $200 to fix, so I did'n't go with that
option.

Again, thanks to all.  I'll keep you posted on the end result.