[oletrucks] dash painting correction

To: Truckexprt@aol.com
Subject: [oletrucks] dash painting correction
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 07:08:34 EST
<<
 Bob,
    The glove box door is stainless steel on the 50 chevy.  Are you saying
that
 the raised ribbed areas were stainless steel & not painted silver to look the
 same as the ribbs on the dash. >>

I apologize to Kelly.  He's right.

I inspected 11 1947 to 51 original trucks yesterday. Thru 1950 all 7 glove box
doors were stainles steel.  2 1951s were plain steel, and one was stainless.
On a 47,48, and 50, all 1-1/2 ton trucks with SS door, it was obvious there
was darker paint in the recesses, and lighter paint on raised part of ribs.
One had black primer visible under the darker color.  I have been painting the
darker color interior color, and interpret the lighter color as a light gold,
but my best example is very thin and weathered, so I can't rule out silver as
the unweathered original color.
All 51s were too weathered or painted over to determine if two colors were
used.  I do believe that in 1951 and later the ribs were painted without a
contrasting color.

I also looked at hood badges on 51s.  Of four, 2 had separate numbers and 2
did not.  All 4 hoods were weathered the same as the rest of the cabs, so I
assume they were not swaped over the years.

Does anyone have a paint # to match the contrasting rib color?  I'll add this
to my database, someday to be posted on my website, which is also in the
future.

Bob ADler