Re: [oletrucks] a/c

To: "steve bougeno" <sbougeno@inlink.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] a/c
From: "Bob Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:06:31 -0600
My son and I used the OldAir A/C on his 55 1st Series.  The
unit is alright but I didn't like the way the four tubes for
the heater hoses and A/C lines come through the firewall.  I
don't recall if they have a clean firewall version or not.
It required numerous taking the unit in and out to get
everything correct.  On my 56 Cameo, we tried Vintage Air.
We used the 4-fitting bulkhead adapter and it looks real
nice.  The unit itself was a bitch to put in.  I must have
taken it out and in 10 different times to get everything
setup right.  Its tight.  There is not even an 1/16"
clearance in many spots.  On the 56, you loose most of your
glove box, they give you a plastic insert that is about
three inches deep.  I talked to their tech support people
and asked how it went in, because I was going to install the
glove box insert from the back before the air unit - but
that's impossible because you need the visibility from the
front of the glove box to do the A/C install.  they said the
insert will go in from the front - I have yet to bend it
enough to get it to squeeze in - I'm afraid I'll break it.
As far as functionality is concerned, the Vintage Air unit
is not complete and the truck doesn't run yet.  On the 55,
we only have the heater connected right now and it works
fine.  Two different applications, I don't know how each
would have fared in the other truck.  Both were supposed to
be bolt in using existing holes, etc.  We did not find that
to be true.  Of course, using the bulkhead adapter on the 56
was an other than stock mod, but some of the mounting points
were not right either.  There both in and I'm sure they will
work fine.  One of the guys in town got so frustrated
installing his Vintage Air, he paid someone else to do it.
Wish I could tell you which is better, but I think they all
have their idiosyncrasies.  I am not looking forward to
buying and installing an A/C unit for my 55 Belair.  -Bob