Re: [oletrucks] torque tube U-joint rebuild

To: <TomGreer@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] torque tube U-joint rebuild
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 21:17:47 -0500
Tom,

I went through this a few years ago, before finally deciding to toss the
whole torque tube and convert to an open drive. The yokes are pretty much a
junkyard item. Although at one time Jim Carter, I think, found and bought a
NOS cache of them in South America  or someplace, I'm sure they are long
gone by now. Even then they were priced at around $100. You might try
Obsolete Chevy or some of the other suppliers - A good used yoke would be
preferable to welding your old one, but you may have no other choice.

The yokes and joints inside the torque tube require constant lubrication
from the tranny grease. Usually the problems start when the seal and bushing
inside the tube wear out. Then all the 90w from the transmission works its
way into the rear end. The axle seals usually being worn out too, it ends up
in the brake drums. That causes its own set of problems, but in the mean
time the U-joints and yokes are whipping around with little or nothing to
keep them lubricated - to say nothing of the poor transmission whose lube
has all gone south.

The torque tube system has some good points, mainly positive axle location ,
but longevity and ease of maintenance are not among them. I don't think GM
planned on some of these trucks still being around after 100K + miles. Good
luck finding a replacement, I'll keep my eye out at the swap meets for a
yoke.

Jack / Winter Park FL