[oletrucks] Truck stampings

To: "'Chevy Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Truck stampings
From: Richard Kinas <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:19:11 -0500
To all,
I thought I'd just share an observation with everyone, with the latest talk
about TF Fenders interchanging. One of the previous owners of my 59 Chevy
butchered the radio section of the dash. I could not stand another day
looking at that mess, so I decided to cut it out and weld in a replacement.
I found a 56 donner cab, which was so eaten away with rust, it would
crumple like tin foil when you touched it, but it had a perfect dash. What
luck! Well when I got the dash section home and was prepping it for
installation, I noticed a remarkable difference in sharpness of the creases
around the glove box. From what I saw, it looks like the dies used to
produce the dash panels were just about wore out by 1959. I was very
surprised by the amount of difference in appearance. This is one of those
things you would never notice looking at one or the other, but comparing
them side-by-side it becomes very noticeable. Given my observations, I
would rather have an earlier cab no matter what year of TF truck I was
building.

1959 Chevrolet Apache      ____    3100
1959 Chevrolet Apache      ____    3100