[oletrucks] Removing the axle pins...

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Removing the axle pins...
From: sheldon <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:47:52 -0800
Carlos wrote:

Greetings,
Are there any alternative ways to drive the pins out of the front axle?.  I
am using a brass drift (0.75" diam) and a heavy hammer ( 3 lb?)as suggested
in the manual.  My right arm is very sore, the brass drift is mushrooming
on both ends and if the pin hardly moved.  (Yes, I removed the cross-pins).
My "Plan B" was to remove the whole axle (at that point it only involved
removing the 8 nuts that hold it to the springs), but those nuts must have
been there a long time, using a cheater bar I was able to turn it one of
them a little bit, but I am afraid I am twisting the bolt.

Thank you.

Carlos Madero

  You might try a new brass drift and also supporting the axle end with
something SOLID so there is no bounce when you drive the pins out. Also
applying a little heat (300 deg max) may help move things along alittle.

  Sheldon Schmidt  '56 4x4