Re: [oletrucks] POWER STEERING

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] POWER STEERING
From: "Eric and Linda St.Phillips" <lstphil1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:43:51 -0500
I'm putting an aftermarket system on my 59 GMC. The system works as the
original P.S. option... by replacing the drag link with a hydraulic
valve/link between the pitman arm on the steering gear and the steering arm
on the left front spindle. In responce to a steering force applied to the
valve by the pitman arm a hydraulic ram connecting the tie rod and the front
axle extends or retracts to provide power assist. The power steering pump
was powered through the rear of the generator by a splined shaft. I found a
power steering pump /generator combo and will use this to maintain authentic
(actually period) appearance. This setup retains the original steering
column, box and pitman arm. The rest of the system I purchased from
Performance Products in CA. The only problem I may have will be clearance
behind the P.S. pump to the Nicson split exhaust headers I'm using. The P.S.
pump adds about six inches to the length of the generator.
I saw an original P.S. option for sale used at the Carlyse Truck Nationals.
Sold for $175.00 as was. The buyer was pleased to have it for that price. I
looked it over and the priciple of operation and appearance was very close
to the aftermarket setup. A modern P.S. pump can be used in place of the
generator mounted unit.
This all raises the question, when did the first true power steering boxes
become available on Chevy/GMC trucks?
Eric A. St.Phillips
1959 GMC 100, long fleetside
Fairport, NY