Re: [oletrucks] No Gas??!!! (trying to ween my '47-2)

To: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] No Gas??!!! (trying to ween my '47-2)
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:38:27 GMT
On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:13:02 EST, you wrote:

>Yeah, the fitting was/is brass, it is an inverted flair for the flaired
>fitting of the 3/8" gasline to be inserted into the front, then the back of
>the fitting is 1/4" and screws into the carb.  I will check about the spacer
>in between the manifold and the carb.  If I go to get an electric Fuel Pump
>for the '55 235, what do I use for a plate to cover the hole in the block?

I have never personally used an electric fuel pump (intentionally), and think
you should be able to fix the problem by rebuilding the carb.  If you have never
rebuilt one, although it is real easy to do, it helps to have someone to ask
questions of the first time.  The cost of the rebuild kit should be under $15.
The fuel pump is pretty cheap to replace too, if it is part of the problem.  As
to what to use to cover the hole, I would think any piece of metal with
appropriate sized holes and a bit of sealant should work.  They might even sell
ready made plates, but not sure.

Sounds like the carb is in need of a rebuild regardless.  DO that first.  Then
check you fuel lines for leaks and fix those next.  Lastly, consider whether or
not to replace the fuel pump, either with an electric or another mechanical.  I
suspect, if you fix the first two items first, you won't even need to consider
the pump issue.

Rob