Re: [oletrucks] Brakes & Alternator

To: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brakes & Alternator
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:02:09 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: tcape <tcape@weblnk.net>
To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 8:29 PM
Subject: [oletrucks] Brakes & Alternator

>I have two problems I'd really like some assistance with:
>1.  Brakes...When I mash the brake pedal and release it, the pedal doesn't
>come all the way back up to the top.  It stops about an inch from the top,
>and stays depressed just enough that it leaves my brake lights on.  (Ran my
>battery down Monday!)  Is there a spring of some type that pulls the brake
>pedal all the way back up to the top?  If so, where is the spring located
>and how hard is it to replace?  If that's not the issue, what else should I
>check?

 There should be a brake pedal return spring that hooks through the lower
part of the brake lever (the underhood part) and goes to a frame tab about
where the exhaust exits. On my truck it's actually two springs hooked
together, but the manual shows 1 longer spring. It's right above the clutch
return spring and about the same size. If it's there, you can't miss it.

>2.  My headlights get brighter when I rev up my engine.  (Brighter than at
>idle.)  My truck has been converted to 12 volts and has an alternator.
Does
>this mean the alternator is not working well.  Or...is this normal and no
>problem at all?

Check the size of the alternator pulley. It should be about 2 -1/2 "
diameter. If it's a bigger size, whoever did the conversion may have  used
the pulley from the old generator, probably to avoid changing belt size. It
won't spin fast enough at idle on an alternator. Does the ammeter show a
discharge at idle? If the pulley is correct, have the alternator checked
out.

Jack / Winter Park FL