Re: [oletrucks] Headlights Brighter With Revs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, Hudson29@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Headlights Brighter With Revs
From: "Bob bdfentr" <bdfentr@mail.symet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:55:28 CST
Yes, your regulator may be defective but consider the following:

The alternator can only put out so much depending on the alternator shaft
speed. If the alternator is turning to slowly you will not put out much
voltage. You do not want to spin the shaft so fast that you sling windings
loose from the armature. Also you do not want the shaft to spin so slow at idle
that the alternator is not capable of putting out at least 13.0 volts with
lights, radio, blower, wipers, etc on. The best way to check is measure say a
85 to 94 chevy motor for the circumference of the drive pulley (on the crank)
and the circumference of the driven pulley (on the alternator). Dividing the
smaller number into the larger number will give you the ratio that was designed
into the system. It will give you a decent charge at idle (650 rpm to 750 rpm).
This ratio will also prevent the alternator from self destruct when a high
perf. 327 is running at 7,500 rpm. Check the ratio you have on the truck at
present and compare it to the ratio on the 85 to 94 year models. This is coming
from someone who has slung three alternator shafts apart when the 283 ci bored
to a 301 ci exceeded 9,000 rmp. The motor was built by Mickey Thompson to
survive around 9,500 burst while purducing in excess of 500 shaft horse power.
We failed to take into account when putting on the alternator pulley. Bob