Re: [oletrucks] 366 V-8/big blocks

To: lakek@oit.edu, MarkNoakes@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 366 V-8/big blocks
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:40:04 EST
In a message dated 3/14/99 8:59:29 AM Pacific Standard Time, lakek@oit.edu
writes:

<< There is a truck specific 427ci.  The two C-70 Chevy's that I used to drive
 at work both had 427ci "truck blocks" (1981, 1985).  The motor does have a
 taller deck height, and I have been told that they use different heads and
 intake that the standard 427ci. car motor.  I don't think that a standard
 454ci would stand up to the abuse that these motors suffer.  As far as I
 know they were still using this motor in the big C-series trucks until a
 few years ago (I have seen a 1991 C-60 with this motor) and may still be.

 Weren't all of the 400ci motors small-blocks?  I have seen a 402ci. big
 block, but I thought all of the 400ci motors were small-blocks.

 Where is Jim Forbes when you need him. 8^)

 Kevin Lake
 56 GMC Suburban/napco >>

  GM called the 402, a 400 (in standard Big Block form).  I've hear numerous
theroies as to why, insurance reasons for larger than 400 cu. in. motors, GM
had an over run of "400" tags to put on the side plates, there wqas an overrun
of mismatch bore on 396's, etc.  I've never heard a definitive answer, and
never really pursued why, but I do know that the '"400" BBC, is a .030 396
motor, with the same stroke.

  My Grandfather had one in a 3/4 ton LWB late 60's or early 70's Chevy that
was tagged as a "400" on the side emblem.  It ran real strong for a "Old" guys
work truck.

  Mike