Re: [oletrucks] Another 12 volt question

To: jmstreet@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Another 12 volt question
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 05:39:54 EST
<<
 Something I never considered when converting my '54 to 12 volts was the
 horn. It seems to work ok, but for it to be correct should I install a
 12 volt relay? A voltage reducer? Both?  >>

In my article on converting in the last isue of THIS OLD TRUCK I recommend
finding a 12 volt horn from a later car or truck.  A 12 v relay won't protect
the 6v horn, in fact it could hurt it by supplying a full 12v. ( a 12v relay
will protect the relay)  The ceramic voltage reducers are good for about 4
amps each.  a stock horn draws about 12 amps, so could could put 3 in parallel
and see how it sounds.  If not loud enough, add more reducers in parallel.