[oletrucks] Rear Axle Housing

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Housing
From: "Paul W. Franchina" <pfoxtrot@gate.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:40:44 -0500
OK folks
Here's an interesting one (I think). I dropped the rear axle housing out of
Boris to take out the rear springs to renew the pivot bushings, pins and
shackles and for general clean-up. When it came out I noticed that on the
driver's side there was a plate, about the size of the pad on the axle
housing and a half inch thick, between the pad and the spring. A spacer of
sorts would be a good definition. However there was no such animal on the
passenger side. From the looks of this plate (rather ancient) it could have
been original, but where the truck had also been jacked up 3" by the PO,
I'm just not sure. I've measured from the frame to the ground, and from the
ground to the bottom of the springs on both sides and the measurements are
close enough for me to question the need for a spacer at all. Has anyone
encountered a situation like this? Would a chassis be so out of whack as to
require a spacer? I checked my shop manual and couldn't find any references
to this, so it's back to the "Collective Wisdom" to help solve this. Thanks
guys (& gals) for any help.

Paul W. Franchina
pfoxtrot@gate.net
& Boris: 1958 Chevrolet Apache 3100 Stepside