Re: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Housing

To: "Paul W. Franchina" <pfoxtrot@gate.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Housing
From: jvanho01@tir.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:40:44 -0500
Paul,

I have seen GMC's as well as Chevy's that have this spacer on the left side
and was told by an old timer truck mechanic that these were used to make up
for the extra weight on the left side of pickups that had the spare tire
mounted on the left side.  Don't know if this is true or not, but is just
what I was told by the old timer. So TIFWIW.

Jim V.

At 08:40 AM 3/19/99 Friday -0500, Paul W. Franchina wrote:
>OK folks
>Here's an interesting one (I think). I dropped the rear axle housing out of
>Boris to take out the rear springs to renew the pivot bushings, pins and
>shackles and for general clean-up. When it came out I noticed that on the
>driver's side there was a plate, about the size of the pad on the axle
>housing and a half inch thick, between the pad and the spring. A spacer of
>sorts would be a good definition. However there was no such animal on the
>passenger side. From the looks of this plate (rather ancient) it could have
>been original, but where the truck had also been jacked up 3" by the PO,
>I'm just not sure. I've measured from the frame to the ground, and from the
>ground to the bottom of the springs on both sides and the measurements are
>close enough for me to question the need for a spacer at all. Has anyone
>encountered a situation like this? Would a chassis be so out of whack as to
>require a spacer? I checked my shop manual and couldn't find any references
>to this, so it's back to the "Collective Wisdom" to help solve this. Thanks
>guys (& gals) for any help.
>

>Paul W. Franchina
>pfoxtrot@gate.net
>& Boris: 1958 Chevrolet Apache 3100 Stepside

Jim V. - '58 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup V8 Automatic