Re: [oletrucks] rear end options

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end options
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:57:54 -0800
By trying to run rear discs with front drums I think you opening youself
up to a lot of problems. I would suggest that you go to a junkyard and
get the whole rear drum setup off a 79-81 firebird. I don't know for
sure but GM was never one for making 2 parts where one will do and
probly used the same axle housing just bolted different brakes on the
end.

Just a point of clarification, drum brakes have a residual pressure
valve to keep the cups in the wheel cylinders seated, disc brakes use a
o-ring type seal and seal tension keeps the pads against the rotor. If
you use a drum brake residual pressure valve master cylinder on disc
brakes it will wear the pads off in short order. Some disc conversion
systems use a specially designed residual valve as an anti-backflow
valve when the master cylinder is lower than the calipers.

Good luck,
John