Re: [oletrucks] Re: 59 Apache timing chain

To: "Edward Miller" <edngael@open.org>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: 59 Apache timing chain
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:07:34 -0700
Jeff,
It has been a few years since I have replaced a timing chain and gears, but
most of the ones that I have done went on very smoothly.  I only remember
ever having to "draw" one onto the shaft.  The only one that I ever had
problems with was on a Do$G#.    Most of the time they slide on with very
little or no effort.  The biggest thing is to get the gears lined up
properly (not too difficult, just watch the marks and make sure that they
line up).  If you haven't already bought a timing chain and gears, you
might want to spend the few extra bucks and buy a "double-roller" set (ask
for it at the parts store, they will know what you want).  They are
stronger and seem to last a little longer.  Try to stay away from the fiber
gear OEM (they may not make these any more) sets.  They run quiet, but I
have had two of them go bad, both in less than 60K miles.  Good luck.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco

----------
> From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
> To: Jeff Higgins <jmhiggins@earthlink.mail.net>
> Cc: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 59 Apache timing chain
> Date: Sunday, April 04, 1999 11:09 AM
>
> Hi Jeff,
<SNIP>
> Draw camshaft sprocket onto camshaft, using the three mounting bolts.
> Tighten to 15 - 20 ft. lbs. torque."  [Don't try to drive the cam
> sprocket onto the shaft as a welsh plug at the rear of the engine can be
> dislodged.]
>
> I hope this helps; I've happily never done this job so I don't know what
> might go wrong.  Judging from the description of the PCV system in the
> 283's, it sounds like the V8 in my truck is something else; I have a 4
> barrel carb and a tube angling down the back of the engine on the
> driver's side that seems to accomplish the PCV functions.  Weird.
>
> Ed Miller
> '58 Apache Fleetside
> Jeff Higgins wrote:
>  I have managed to get my timing chain off of time
> > and my manual has gone missing.
> > Could you help me out and look up what procedure I need to follow to
put it
> > back to running order with the timing chain?  Many thanks in advance
for
> > your help!
> > I would certainly be appreciative.  It's my only vehicle and in Los
Angeles