[oletrucks] Re: 59 Apache timing chain

To: Jeff Higgins <jmhiggins@earthlink.mail.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 59 Apache timing chain
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:09:26 -0700
Hi Jeff,

I couldn't get a message through to you last night, so I'll copy this to
the list as well.  You didn't say which engine you have, but since my
book shows timing gears for the 235 I'll work under the assumption that
you have a V8.

The procedure for installing the timing chain is the same for both the
Trademaster and Taskmaster V8's:

Install timing chain on camshaft sprocket.  Hold the sprocket vertical
with the chain hanging below, and orient to align "0" marks on camshaft
and crankshaft sprockets.  [The picture shows them aimed at one another
vertically, the marked teeth lining up in between the two shafts.]

Align dowel in camshaft with dowel hole in camshaft sprocket and install
sprocket on camshaft...

Draw camshaft sprocket onto camshaft, using the three mounting bolts.
Tighten to 15 - 20 ft. lbs. torque."  [Don't try to drive the cam
sprocket onto the shaft as a welsh plug at the rear of the engine can be
dislodged.]

I hope this helps; I've happily never done this job so I don't know what
might go wrong.  Judging from the description of the PCV system in the
283's, it sounds like the V8 in my truck is something else; I have a 4
barrel carb and a tube angling down the back of the engine on the
driver's side that seems to accomplish the PCV functions.  Weird.

Ed Miller
'58 Apache Fleetside
 I have managed to get my timing chain off of time