Re: [oletrucks] Split rims GOOD/BAD????

To: "Chris Dillon" <dillo021@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Split rims GOOD/BAD????
From: "Melanie S. Dickey" <mdickey@gorilla.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:46:10 -0500
Chris,

I've changed several of these split rims. I don't want  to touch them again.
They
can be VERY dangerous! If not installed correctly they can blow the rim off
at
tremendous speed and really do damage to any thing and any one in the area.
You want a quick and easy sun light window? Tis easy with a split rim. I can
understand anyone's reluctance to do 'em. I don't even know many shops that
will touch them unless it is at the 'big rig' truck shops. Most of them have
the
safety equipment to do the job.  They should ONLY be done with a safety
cage.
Most regular repair shops don't have one of these. I don't know if I would
call
them good or bad. When used and installed correctly the work really well and
you could even put on a new tire in the middle of nowhere. (No I don't
recommend it.) Done poorly or without good instruction they are too
dangerous.

Good Luck,
Lonnie