[oletrucks] Column....

To: tcape@weblnk.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Column....
From: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:46:31 EDT
Tom,
My Chevrolet has a column shifter and a foot brake on the drivers kick
pannel.  Mine IS a '47 made in Nov. of the '47 model year.  I have spoken to
the 2nd owner, (It's fun to call all the PO's and back track), He bought the
truck in 1968 and said that he had thought that it was a '48 because of the
radiator that was on it has 48 raised on the resovoir.  I have both the '48
and '47 truck specs from chevrolet,the first date on the '47 was in August
and the last revision to the truck specs on the '47 was in mid October.  The
1st draft of the '48 wasn't untill Febuary 1948.  I also found that the
letter designations on the serial #'s to be model year specific, NOT calendar
year specific.  The begining of my serial # is 8EPK, the 8 is for Atlanta, (I
bet this things never left Ga!), EP is a '47 model, and the K is for
November, This means Nov. of the 1947 model year.  The Specs for 1947 do not
mention the tree shifter as an option, and the drawings just show a floor
shifter.  But the '47 does mention a three speed transmission on an October
page.  As a side note, the drawings in the '48 only show floor shifter as
well even in the 1/2 ton cowl chassis.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Casey
'47-2 Thriftmaster