[oletrucks] Finding Intake Manifold Leaks

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Finding Intake Manifold Leaks
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:32:58 -0400
Since I dropped the rebuilt head on my 235, I've had some performance
problems, most of which went away with some good valve-timing adjustment, &
some good advice on manifold gasket leaks from members helped- (I opted out
of shaving everything true and just went with the copper manifold sealant
on all manifold gasket joints).

What's still happening is a real noticeable stumble under fast
acceleration, especially under load.  I'm not really sure that I've got the
manifold leak thing knocked yet, can't rule out fuel/air mixture, knocked
up carb, etc.

Searching the web during lunch, I came across a good method of testing for
intake vacuum leaks.. with the engine off, injecting the manifold with
smoke through a spare vacuum hose (I'm using my now-obsolete wiper vacum
hose for my under-dash vacuum gauge, and I'll use this to inject whatever
smoke I can come up with).  The article I found
(http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may/TECH2TEC.HTM) mentions a certain tool
called the VacuTec, which exists to inject thick smoke into the engine.

Figured I'd share the tip with the group, and see if anybody knows of a
good way/thingamajig to get alotta thick smoke into that vaccum hose.  I'm
gonna start off with a pack of Camels..