[oletrucks] Loose Throttle Valve Rod

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Loose Throttle Valve Rod
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:27:11 -0400
Well, think I finally figured my performance problems when I went to clean
my 235's Model B carburetor..

Sprayed in some NAPA carb cleaner, only to see it promptly drip right out
of the throttle rod fittings.

This confirmed a suspicion I got last night when it wobbled while adjusting
mixture/idle screws and mucking around with the linkage.  To save anybody
else the aggravation, this is something that I consistently mis-diagnosed,
as the cause of spongy acceleration and lag, slight misfires, etc. (at
least I'm hoping this is the only reason for all that- in attempting to fix
this problem, I've probably fine-tuned & eliminated everything else to as
good as its ever been: no vacuum leaks [gauge now reads 21-22 Hg at idle],
timing, valve lash, idle & richness mixture settings, hi-po spark wires, etc.)

This is gonna make it that much easier to kick out ~$200 for that spare 235
the guy down the road has, even if it is a '53 low pressure block- if it's
got the OEM carb on it, that could keep me running and on the road until I
can save up enough to get some kind of water-heated intake & dual exhaust
manifolds and a bigger/better carb..

Oh boy, I see Cliffords has fuel injection and turbo kits, too. Y'know,
while I'm replacing things- I hear that stuff's great for improving
mileage..  :)

(In case people haven't had the chance to check these guys out for hi-po
equipment, they specialize in "hop-up" gear for older in-lines.  Address is
http://www.cliffordperformance.com)