Re: [oletrucks] 5 lug drums

To: my51truck@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 5 lug drums
From: CyrusR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:47:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/99 9:16:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
my51truck@hotmail.com writes:

>  couple weeks back I read that someone was looking for 5 lug brake
>  drums to replace the 6 luggers that came stock on his AD truck. I,
>  too am looking for 5 lug drums to do the same thing until I can get an
>  IFS kit under the front. I never did see any comments from anyone on
>  the list. I may have over looked your replies, so if anyone knows on 5
>  lug brake drums that I can put on the front of my '51 I'd love to hear
>  from you.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Dave

Dave,
I'm not certain about what works on a '51 truck, but I converted a '48 car
using hubs and drums from a '49 or '50 car.  I also had a '55 pickup that had
been converted, and the hubs and drums looked like the same kind, but I'm not
absolutely positive.  I'm pretty sure the car and truck spindles were
similar, but someone else on the list should be able to tell you for sure.
Since the '49 and '50 car hubs and drums are so hard to find, there's another
alternative.  I think you could use the car hubs from models all the way to
'54, but I think the drums were made wider in about '51, and will rub your
backing plates unless you cut about 3/8 or 1/2 " off the back of the drums,
or get the drums separately (new).

I hate to give information that's not specific to your particular model, but
this might at least give you somewhere to start looking.  Good luck,

Randy Underwood
CyrusR@aol.com
Springdale, AR
‘57 1/2 Ton