[oletrucks] Suburban questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Suburban questions
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:48:19 +0000
Hi friends:

2 questions:

1.)The wooden floor on the 57 suburban is really in excellent shape.
But...it has been in dry, dusty, Amarillo for 42 years. Now it's in
wet, rainy, humid Houston - even the stuff in the garage rusts!

I don't want to take the floor apart - not now anyway.  I want to
drive it as is for a while.  But I also don't want even one bit of
deterioration to begin.  You just don't find them this nice that
often.

The underside of the floor looks like it has some green paint-like
covering which is partly faded.  Maybe it was just paint or maybe it
was a special moisture barrier - I don't know. It is not thick or
"undercoat" looking in appearance.

What can I use to really seal it and what do ya'll think of sealing
it as it sits?  Actually, I just thought about it for a moment -
maybe it wouldn't be that hard to take the floor out.  What do ya'll
think.  I am not a half asser but you know the old saying - if it's
not broken don't mess with it.

2.) can anyone tell me how the rear seats attach?  I have one
mounting assembly - a screw with a metal fastening piece. It doesn't
look very strong.  As I have no pics or other info to shop me what
SHOULD be there - maybe someone has the original mounting hardware
and could explain it to me.  A cool story: the rear seats had been
taken out back in 1960. The owner at the time was a contractor and
didn't need the seats. He stored them in his barn-shop. Then he
stored the Sub in 1969.  He sold it in 95 to the guy I bought it
from.  That guy never got it re-titled so I had to call the original
owner - now about 65 years old - to sign the title change forms.  He
told me he still had the original seats in his shop.  I drove
over his place and picked them up when I picked up the suburban
in Amarillo.  They are almost mint with not even a slight tear.  I
thought this was pretty cool not to mention lucky as these seats are
getting hard to find apparently.  And the front seat is almost just
as nice including the jumper.

Anyway, thought ya'll would enjoy that.
Thanks for your help.
Eric