Re: [oletrucks] Title, Inspection & Tags in Texas?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Title, Inspection & Tags in Texas?
From: "BelAirBob" <rogerz@planetwide.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:19:03 -0700
Was told by the local tax assessor that I have to have an inspection
> certificate and insurance to get title transferred and tags.  Problem
> is, to get insurance, I have to have title (don't I?) and a mechanics
> letter that the truck is road worthy, and to get inspection I have to
> have insurance.

Bennett,

You shouldn't need the title or mechanics letter to get insurance on your
truck.

The State of Texas does require proof of insurance to transfer a tilte,
register and pass the safety inspection.  I recently was told the same
thing buy a car dealer about needing an inspection sticker to transfer a
title but a good friend of mine with the DPS said it is not needed.  Just
for safety I called the local Tax Assessor Collector's office to ask.  They
said as long as the truck had a Texas title, I did not need the proof of
inspection to transfer the title.  If it had an out of state title then the
inspection was needed before the tile can be transfered.

Good Luck fighting the title/tag Nazis.  ;-)

Robert
57 1/2 ton Panel custom
57 Belair Sport Coupe restored to factory specs.
and a few others