[oletrucks] ID'ing a rearend

To: "_Buicks@onelist.com" <buicks@onelist.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] ID'ing a rearend
From: "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:48:43 -0700
Is it possible to identify ANY rearend if all you know is that it came out
of a GM vehicle?  I know the rearend is not original in one of my vehicles,
and it has developed a decided "KLUNK" (VERY LOUD, not at all subtle, nor is
it consistent.  Sometimes nothing, then all of a sudden, KLUNK), and
although I suspected something in the brake arena, it is not.  Anyway, I
plan to pull both axles and look at bearings, and if that is not the source
(doesn't sound like it will be), then pull the diff. cover and look inside.
However, if I DO discover the cause, how do I go about searching for
replacement parts until I know what the rearend originally came out of,
hence my original question.

Rob