[oletrucks] Bugs in the rear end

To: buicks@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net, skylark@listbot.com,
Subject: [oletrucks] Bugs in the rear end
From: "Bob bdfentr" <bdfentr@zeus.symet.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:27:40 CST
Bugs in the rear end:
Possibly sounds like you popped a tooth on a spider gear. This might be the
reason that the clunk is not predictible. As the drive shaft tries to turn, it
could take up the "blank" or missing tooth and them move to a good tooth. When
it hits the good tooth, therefore you hear a clunk, or heavy metal to metal
noise. The reason I tore up the spider gear on my old car is that I tried to
play like Don Prudome off the line. The problem might mask itself by going
around a corner. and not show up until you make another corner, and happen to
run up upon the :blank " tooth space again. The only time the spider gears turn
is when one wheel moves at a different speed than the other wheel. Drain the
grease and see if there is a tooth laying in the botton of the rear end case.
You might be lucky and just have to replace a single spider gear! Good
luck...Bob Fentress

Do this SOON! You do not want to have the tooth pop up into the ring and pinion
at any speed over a bump. It could lock up a rear end.