Re: [oletrucks] Speaking of Gauges......

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Speaking of Gauges......
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:41:59 -0700
For certain AD models, GMC offered electric temperature gauges with an electric
sending unit that looks very similar to the 12V unit offered in the later 50s
(except it's a treaded top instead of a clip top).  Because of it's uniqueness,
I like the electric gauge over the capillary setup you describe.  However,
looks like lack of information on the electric gauge may be the downfall.

>>> "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com> 05/04 11:05 AM >>>
Hmm, unless you have a different type gauge than on the Chevy, the temp.
gauge is not controlled by electricity.  It is comprised of a bulb that fits
in the water jacket, and has a copper line that registers on the gauge.
This system is filled with ether, I believe, and must not be bent too much
or you will lose the ether and then the gauge will stop working.  If yours
uses electricity, then either GMC used a completely different arrangement,
or someone has modified your gauge.

Rob