[oletrucks] Purchasing Classic Chevys

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Purchasing Classic Chevys
From: Sam H Harry <samharry45@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:22:57 -0500
I'm looking to buy a '56 1/2 ton small window.  To be honest, I don't
have the slightest clue where to start.  I'm looking for one that runs
(I'll use it as a daily driver), but I want to do a lot of restoration on
it.  When I say runs, I mean it doesn't have to run well.  It's just
gotta make forward progress.  Where would I find such a truck, and how
much should I be looking to spend?  This may be a dumb question, but is a
Thriftmaster 6 going to cost more or less than the V8?  Another dumb
question:  I'm in college, and I want something that gets better mileage
than my '84 K2500 Suburban's 14mpg.  Would the straight 6 beat this
mileage, and if not, is there anything I could do to make it?  When did
Chevy change over to the 12v system?  I am going to want to have a 12v
truck, so if the '56 is still 6v, what all is involved in the conversion?

Sorry about all of the questions.  I'm still green with this stuff, but I
love it, and want to learn all I can.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.

"I have opinions of my own - strong opinions -
but I don't always agree with them."