Re: [oletrucks] Purchasing Classic Chevys

To: "Sam H Harry" <samharry45@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Purchasing Classic Chevys
From: "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 14:50:01 -0700
All I can comment on is how my straight six (235) performs.  I got around 16
mpg on my latest cross country trip (but this was with a Ford 9" rearend
sporting 3.25 gears).  To offset this, I was hauling close to the 1/2 ton
rated load.

As to whether or not the six or V8 is more expensive (I assume you are
talking rebuild costs?), I don't think you can beat a Chevy 350 on price for
rebuild.  Ford's 302 might come close, but still second.  Reason is
supply/demand.  There are just so many more of them out there, that it is
cheaper to produce rebuild parts.  Chevy (truck-wise) changed to 12V in
1954, so the '56 is already 12 volt system.

Rob