[oletrucks] Trailering vs. High Cube Truck Rental

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Trailering vs. High Cube Truck Rental
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:15:13 -0400
I looked into this some when I almost bought a '55 NAPCO sub for for $3500
in Kansas (and I hope somebody on the list ended up getting it).  One
option to at least look into is what the load/size capacity is of those
heavy-duty "high-cubes" you can rent from Ryder or U-Haul.  After looking
into their trailer prices and capacity, one of their reps mentioned renting
one of their full-size cube/moving trucks, driving/pushing the '55 Suburban
into it, and then securing with lots of cargo straps to the bed floor.
Though the sides of these trucks might look flimsy, take a look at the
thick bed floor in those things- and pulling all that is a one or sometimes
two-ton chassis and drivetrain.

Those high-cubes aren't that much different from the flatbed trucks that
lots of shops use to transport cars, and though they may cost a little more
to rent than a trailer, it's a lot less aggravation to drive a long
distance, and puts all that high-load wear and tear on their vehicle, not
yours, and it'll put no mileage (engine running or not) on your "new" old
truck.  Watch yourself around those curves though.. ;)

I ended up finding and buying another '55-2nd Sub less than one hour's
drive away (no small feat in Upstate New York, which is rust belt central)
and ended up driving it back, so I never got an opportunity to try the
high-cube.  I wouldn't recommend it blindly, but it bears looking into-
maybe somebody on the list might have a yeah or nay on this idea.