[oletrucks] Paint Removal

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Paint Removal
From: JWSuther1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 19:25:16 EDT
Hello List - My opinion on paint and rust removal on frames and body -
Frames - Sandblast , this will clear it of existing paint, undercoating, road
tar and rust.  If they clean, etch and prime at the sandblast facility have
it done there.  If not as soon as possible get this done.  If you bring it
back to the shop to prime it will give you the opportunity to detail it some
more (they always seem to miss areas). Several types of top coatings work
well -- your preference.
Cabs-Fenders, Etc., Do Not Sand Blast - For paint removal Plastic Media
Blasting for me works best.  It does not heat the metal which can cause
warpage.  It will not remove rust but does an excellent job of paint removal.
 The rust will have to be removed mechanically (Scotch Brite Pads - , Etc.)
or Chemically with an Etch.  Then of course prep and prime ASAP.  I have
completed several Cameo and TF trucks using this method and the paint finish
(several years later) is still excellent.
I'm not in favor of chemical paint stripping unless absolutely necessary --
especially in areas that are not going to be disassembled to be certain its
out of the cracks and crevices.
My local vendor is:
Ellis' Plastic Media Blasting Inc.
Greensboro, NC     Ph (336) 855-1632