Re: RE: [oletrucks] more paint questions

To: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE: [oletrucks] more paint questions
From: "Melanie S. Dickey" <mdickey@gorilla.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 19:13:38 -0500
Eric,
  I had my body and chassis blasted. I highly recommend it.
I would absolutely have it primered immediately. My blaster
did the primer soon as he got the dust off. What with the
high humidity in Tulsa I didn't want the rust to start before
I could get it picked up. A primer on freshly blasted metal
REALLY sticks tight!
  I would have a recommendaton on blasting though. Make
sure what you are getting up front. Its just common sense.
See what work the blaster does and have a frim under-
standing what is to be blasted and with what. Some blasters
are not experienced with the light metal of a car/truck body.
They can get a really heavy hand and ruin the skin from
heat buildup. The heat can also build enough to shatter the
windows from warpage if you don't remove them. Some
are now using interesing materials like soda and walnut shells.
These material lower the friction and are easier on the metal
surface and don't pit as bad as sand (espicially 'new' sand) .

Yes. Blasting is good but only if you make sure what you
are getting.

Lonnie