[oletrucks] Highway Speeds, Max RPM

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Highway Speeds, Max RPM
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 12:08:26 -0400
We just went through a thread about top speed and stock trucks, and I meant
to put in my $.02 on it- better late than never.

I drive my bone-stock 55-2 Sub forty miles to work and then forty back
every day, most of it NYS Thruway miles.  I've got the stock 235 1-barrel
and three-spd tranny, and usually take it right up to a comfortable 3K RPM
or slightly less, which keeps it at about 60-63 MPH with the aftermarket
rims and tires I have on.  Picking up a overdrive tranny and some rear sway
bars, dual master cylinders and front steering stabilizers will no doubt
increase my mileage, speed and comfort/stability, and they're all on my
wish list for the coming year.  When I first bought the truck, I'd take it
right up to about 67-70 (which it seemed to really like), but after
investing some time & energy in the truck, and mounting a tach under the
dash, I now find myself not pushing it that much.

My question is this, and I've looked all through the '55 shop manual for
it, with no luck.  Should I be all that comfortable cruising at 3K RPM?
What is the red-line on a stock 235?  I've figured my red line is around
3500-4000 RPM.  Any other 235ci owners have any thoughts or tragic
experiences with red-lining we could learn from?

The NYS speed limit is 65 MPH, which puts my truck's speed below the
average car's speed of 70 to 75 MPH.  Way I look at, at least I'm giving
alot of folks the opportunity to look at my truck as they pass me. ;)