RE: [oletrucks] Highway Speeds, Max RPM

To: "'Jeremy Eastman'" <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Highway Speeds, Max RPM
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:24:20 -0700
NY State Thruway is a smooooooth glide.  I have driven from Albany to NYC
doing around 80 in an Oldsmobile Omega (Nova with diff. trim) which had a
Rocket 350.  This was back when there was the 55 limit.  What a cruise!
 Not a single cop in sight.

One thing I must say is: As long as you have good oil pressure and a tight
motor, 3K RPM should be no problem specifically in a straight six.  If one
should have any problems with his motor at that RPM, he should reevaluate
the motor's mechanical integrity (or check his oil more often).  :>)

Suspension is the cruise factor that concerns me the most.  A good stable
ride is very important. Of course, I wouldn't throw out safety factors
involving such as brakes and steering.
My goal this summer is to climb under the beast and go through the
suspension to try and improve the ride.  In my other e-mail threads, I
complained about rough rides and poor handling (despite redoing the tie
rods and king pins).  I fel that stock suspension systems are a challenge
to tame.
Besides that, I might consider buying a kidney belt for that rough ride!

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200