Re: [oletrucks] Off-subject-Summertime fun & E-mail security

To: "Ted Timmons" <tedt@colubs.com>, "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off-subject-Summertime fun & E-mail security
From: "Melanie S. Dickey" <mdickey@gorilla.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 17:13:52 -0500
Ted, et al.
   I do'nt want to make a big sceen about this or alarm anyone, but
it really isn't hard to get data off the net. The necessary hardware
and software is freely and legally available to anyone with a few
bucks. I have the stuff at work and its almost brainless. The bigger
problem is access to a place where one could watch the data. Don't
be alarmed though cause if you are being watched then its already
happening. Shoot. We all know that "Big Brother" is watching and
there are so many ways to get the information. How many of you have
called in to cancel a card or some other sensitive transaction? Now,
have you noticed the person on the other end took your word for it
without asking a single question to verify who you were? The way
to keep from getting hurt is something like Ted says, don't 'say'
anything that you wouldn't want anyone else to 'hear'. By the way,
secure data encryption is a real good start and most browsers have
it built in or an option for it.

  All that being said, I wouldn't be too adverse to a connection list.
All I would ask it that it be properly managed. Encryption and such
should be engaged. I don't get out of Tulsa much but would be
interested in meeting others as they travel and help if needed.
I still ride motocycles and that kind of help is second nature to
"ol bikers"..

Lonnie

  That "sift through gigs" of mail can easliy be automated with the
equipment. Gigs of data yes, but not so hard. Its the same process I
use to diagnose problems on the network.