[oletrucks] Suburbans, Woodies, and Woodworking

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Suburbans, Woodies, and Woodworking
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:13:19 EDT
Being a Suburban fan and a Woodie fan and also into woodworking, but not
really being in a position to buy a Woodie when I already have a Suburban
project going, I've always considered putting wood trim on the interior of my
Suburban.  I'll probably also try to put some storage boxes in the sides of
the inside rear quarters as the wheel tubs that extend up into the interior
are pretty beat up. . . and I wouldn't mind the space.  While obviously not
stock, the intent is to make it as original looking as possible.

I would like to use maple strips and okoume on the rear quarters and
ceiling--okoume is high grade mahogony marine plywood sold by Cheasapeake
Light Craft, http://www.clcboats.com/.  It comes in thicknesses down to 4mm.
. .yes, it's European.  CLC has great boat kits; I hope to build one of their
expedition kayaks next winter, depending on the Sub's and other projects'
progress.

I finally got to do some serious inspection of woodies at the Knoxville
Street Rod event a couple of weeks ago, but:

1--I'd like to find a good book/source of documentation that shows as much
details on the interiors of woodies, preferably even an assembly manual if
anyone's ever seen one.  Any detail photos would also be appreciated.

2--I'd appreciate some expert woodworking opinions on how to make/finish cut
very long and thin strips of maple.  I've got the general idea but would like
added counsel.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban