[oletrucks] another truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] another truck
From: michael_j._o'rourke@gmr.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:48:22 -0400
Let me try this again.  Since I tried to send this the first time I got the
new rubber.  $700 worth!  Ouch!
I've just been lurking around.  With all the work I had last summer there
wasn't time enough to touch my '51 with a wrench.  It's still on blocks.
So the only logical thing to do was to buy another one that runs.  On Wed
went to Norwalk MI and picked up a '57 3600 flat bed.  I figure half the
sheet metal work to do.  I had talked to a tire dealer in Manistee before I
left home, but when I got there he couldn't get the tires.  So we made the
300 mile trip back to Warren on the old rubber.  I was glad it was rainig
to keep thoes old tires cooler.  The speedo doesn't work so I gauged the
speed by the seat of my pants (literally) and the flapping of the right
windshield wiper. (It needs a new spring).  The gas gauge doesn't work and
the PO told me to gas up about every 100 miles.  Used the chase truck
odometer and FSR radios for communicatiom.  The first tank got 6.5 the
second 7.1 and the third 7.3 MPG all at about 60 MPH.
Yesterday I got plates.  Antique or year plates can only be used for
cruses, showes and the like so I got regular ones.  The gal pulled out the
top plate in the bin, she looked at me and grinned, put it back flipped
down a few more and gave me 1957 GL.  That one is a keeper!
Then I went hunting for tires.  Took four stops to find a guy to point me
to the right place.  You can't get 8x17.5 just anyplace.
Mike O'Rourke
1951 Chevy 3100
1957 Chevy 3600
morourke@notes.gmr.com