Re: RE: [oletrucks] shift kit

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE: [oletrucks] shift kit
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:24:09 -0700
I agree whole heartedly with Mike.  I installed a B&M shift kit in my 700R4
using the "intermediate" combination (three stiffnesses of springs were
provided in the kit) recommended in the instructions and Mike is correct,
found the weak u-joints in my 4x4.  It now shifts way to hard for my liking
(sometimes leaves my teeth behind when shifting under heavy loads).
However, I do hammer on the transmission occasionally and it is still
performing great after 30k miles.  If I ever use a shift kit again, it will
use a much smoother type.

>>> "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com> 05/19 6:22 AM >>>
Shift kits were originally designed for the drag race crowd,
where shorter shifts produce lower ETs.  They generally work by
decreasing the duration of upshifts.  GM automatics are normally
very smooth shifting.  Installing a shift kit will make the
shifts firmer and more noticeable to the driver.  As with all
automatics, this is load sensitive.  Increasing the load will
increase the time required for the next gear clutch to engage
completely.  If you are using the truck to tow a heavy load (what
the TH400 is made for) the shorter shift will produce less heat
in the tranny due to less clutch slippage.  At the same time, the
shift will become more abrupt, creating quite a jolt in the
drivetrain when not loaded heavily.  In a heavy 4x4, this is THE
way to find out if your U-joints are in good shape (as long as
you're not too far from town).  IMHO, the valving in GM autos is
just fine in stock configuration.  It is a good compromise
between comfort, driveline durability, and tranny longevity.  If
your towed load is producing too much heat in the tranny, buy an
additional fluid cooler : ) My $.02

Mike Snow
1953 3100

Group,