[oletrucks] On the road...finally

To: oletruck list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] On the road...finally
From: Bill Green <wgreen@bright.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:34:05 -0400
This last weekend I finally had all the parts together and had the
brake job done on Saturday.  Then in Sunday's paper, a tire dealership
advertised a sale on LT215/85R/16's for $63 each.  I bit the bullet and
went for the new rubber.

   I can't believe the difference in the ride on the new tires.  Thanks
to those folks that suggested the radials in response to my earlier
post.  I took her out Sunday evening and found my first informal
cruise-in...lots of sharp cars...just a few trucks.  Poor old Nona
looked like a burro in a stable of thoroughbreds but several people came
up heard her "story" and made note of how original she was in her
condition.  For those who haven't seen Nona, Jeff Nelson was kind enough
to post a few pictures of her, relating to the stake-sides that Grandpa
had bought with her.  That page is:

        http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/jeff/stake/index.htm

   Now that I will be able to drive her around on the weekends and
actually run some gas through her, do I need to put lead additives in
the gas when I fill up?  When I brought her here from my Dad's, he threw
in a can of some kind o lead substitute.  The motor starts good and runs
smooth, without missing...a little noisy on the exhaust side, but I am
noticing a metalic ticking sound from the motor that increases with rpm,
but not necessarily with load.  Does the 216 normally run with a slight
clattery sound?  I know it doesn't have oil circulation and filtration
like a 235, the pressure runs slightly above 15 when cold and just under
15 when warm in middle rpm's.

   Thanks again to the group for all the help.  As I take on each new
little project, I know where I will turn to first for suggestions and
help.
--
Bill Green     =-=-=-=-=    Grandpa's '52 3100  "Nona"
Canton, OH   =-=-=-=-=  (lovingly named after Grandma)