[oletrucks] 57 door panel hinge repair

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 57 door panel hinge repair
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:07:39 +0000
Hi: ya'll may remember that I asked some questions re the repair
panel for the 57 hinge pocket in the door column (right above the
step pocket).   The stress imposed on the actual door hinge mounting
plate from the rusted hinge pocket may neccessitate replacing the
"block" that the lower hinge mounts to in the door (right behind the
lower door hinge access panel).

Chevy Duty sells these repair panels.   Unfortunately, to access this
spot, the door must be taken apart.  My door is in pretty much
excellent condition.  I hate to think of taking the door apart.  What
do ya'll think about this?  The mounting block has been "ripped" away
from it's original position.  I am no welder but it seems to me that
if the block was pounded back into place and the metal rips welded,
then that may be an option.  It seems that most of the weight is on
the upper hinge.  I don't want to do a half assed job nor do I want
the problem to re-surface in the future.  But I hate to take the door
apart.

My lack of experience with metal working makes these types of jobs
seem more complex then maybe they really are. Perhaps, if I were
familiar with welding, I would have more of a "no big deal" approach.

What do ya'll think?  And, what do you think the best approach would
be if I were to disassemble the door?  Cut a square around the
damaged area?  Take the entire door apart?

Thanks, Eric Pesci