Re: [oletrucks] POR paints

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] POR paints
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:51:12 -0400
Paul, there was an intensive discussion on the Chevelle list a while
back about the same topic, and some of the following points were made:

1. You do not want to apply POR-15 over non-rusted metal as a rule.  It
seems to work best when activated with a solidly adhered rust coating.
Hence it's name "Paint Over Rust".  If you have a freshly blasted
surface, you might want to "flash rust" it with a spray of water.  Make
sure that loose rust flakes are wire brushed off.

2. Some folks have noticed that it discolors (turning yellow-y) in areas
that are subject to sunlight.  Underneath a truck on it's frame is
probably OK though.

3. There are mixed opinions as to whether you can effectively paint over
it.  Reports of paint bubbling and POR-15 peeling were heard.

4. You don't want to get it on your skin or in your hair during
application.  Impossible to remove...it has to wear off.

I also was on the fence about this product, and have since placed an
order with Eastwood for their "Corroless" which is a product similar to
POR-15.  Eastwood claims you can paint over it.  I will let the list
know about my results, short-term at least.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100