[oletrucks] Hydra-matic questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Hydra-matic questions
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:46:14 EDT
I just bought a '53 GMC pickup and a '50 GMC parts truck. The trucks are both
5-windows, but the '53 is a half-ton long bed with a factory hydra-matic and
228 IL6. The '50 has the original 248 and an incorrect 4-spd tranny. These
are some of the questions I have:

1) My GMC shop manual says that bellhousings must stay with the engine on
which they were originally installed. If this is so, and I transplant the '50
248 into the '53, will the bellhousing on the 248 work with the Hydra-matic
assuming that the 248 has the original bellhousing?Or does the hydramatic
require a completely different bellhousing?

2) How many Advanced Design pickups did GMC produce with the Hydra-matic?

3) Does anyone out there have a Hydra-matic maintenance manual for sale or
know where I could get an original or a copy of one that covers my tranny?

4) Are Hydra-matics simply a 4-spd automatic with 4th gear having a ratio of
1:1 or are they a 3-spd with an overdrive?

5) Will the Hydra-matic be agreeable to mild stovebolt performance mods such
as  a cam, dual exhaust and 3x1 intake or are there special problems that I
will encounter with a Hydra-matic?

Thanks ahead for any and all help,
Dustin Allmaras
Aurora, Oregon