Re: [oletrucks] What is "backlash"?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What is "backlash"?
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:24:38 EDT
Backlash is essentially the slop in the gears, or. . .

". . .the space between the thickness of a gear tooth and the width of the
space between teeth in the mating gear, designed to allow for a film of
lubricant, binding from heat expansion and eccentricity, or manufacturing
inaccuracies."

Websters' Unabridged

ie, the slop in the gears.  Yes, the tolerances are important to maintain.
I've know very good mechanics who have taken the diff to  a specialty shop
rather than do it themselves to make sure it was adjusted right.

Mark Noakes

<<OK folks, perhaps this is a stupid question but here goes.  I am
re-assembling the rear dif on my 46 1-1/2 ton (single speed).  The
manual says that there should be between (I think) .05 and .08 backlash
between the ring and pinion gears (as measured with a dial gauge and
adjusted with the bearing retainer rings.)  I have got the adjustments down
but my question is. . . what is backlash?  I am guessing that if I firmly
hold the pinion assembly I should be able to rotate the ring gear between
.05 and .08 . . .????? According to the manual I would adjust this by moving
the ring gear closer to or farther away from the pinion by screwing in one
retainer and loosening the other.>>