Re: [oletrucks] Frozen pilot bushing

To: tonyd3@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Frozen pilot bushing
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:34:10 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/99 11:23:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tonyd3@earthlink.net writes:

<< Over the weekend I took down the transmission and removed the clutch.  The
 cause of the chatter in my earlier post was a bad pressure plate.

 I have got everything apart, but the pilot bushing doesn't want to move,
 even after tapping on it using a 5 lb. slide hammer.  I don't have a pilot
 bushing attachment for the slide hammer, so I was using a bolt head.  It
 seems like this has worked for me in the distant past, but clearly not with
 this bushing.

 One guy suggested packing the bushing hole with plumber's putty then driving
 in a tight fitting rod (or bolt) to push the bushing out by displacing the
 putty.  Someone else suggested sending a tap through the bushing and then
 using a bolt to pull the bushing out.

 Does anyone have any other suggestions, or comments on which method would be
 more effective?

 Thanks in advance.

 Tony D.
 51 1/2 ton

   Geez, I've seen the use of heavy grease and toilet paper pounded in, to
knock out the bushing, I've chisleled them out too, I've seen the bolt puller
trick, slide hammer route as well, I'm sure I've been involved with a few
other ways too that I've forgot about, but one thing I can tell you for sure
is that I have NEVER been able to do it the same way twice!!

  Mike