Re: [oletrucks] lead additives

To: "Brad Newman" <bkn@cyberramp.net>, "_Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] lead additives
From: "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 07:15:36 -0700
First off, unless I am mistaken, leaded gasoline was still pretty readily
available 20 years ago, so can think of no reason hardened seats would have
been installed at that time in the rebuild.  The only way to tell if you
have hardened seats though, is to pull the head.  If you are planning to
keep the 216 (maybe now is a good time to think about swapping in a 235 or
other?), I am not sure if the missing lead is as critical as you might
believe.  The only reason I had hardened valves put in when I rebuilt my
235, was because I knew it would be undergoing a cross-country trip as soon
as it was completed.  I have heard from MANY knowledgeable people, that
unless you do a lot of long distance driving, the hardened seats are really
not necessary, nor is the additive.  I have started using the additive only
when I know I will be driving long distances (on my '67 and '70 Skylarks).
Anyway, if you either DO do a lot of long distance driving with the 216, or
it simply gives you comfort to feel that you are doing everything possible
to preserve your engine, then the answer to your last question is "no", the
lead additive will NOT hurt your engine, so add it as you see fit.  It WILL
help it, but simply may be an unnecessary expense.

Rob