Re: [oletrucks] lead additives

To: "Rob Jacobs" <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] lead additives
From: safesix@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:19:25 +0000
I agree with Rob, in that the effect of unleaded fuel on
older engines is not a real serious threat. I would
certainly not go to the trouble and expense of
installing hardened exhaust seats on an engine that
isn't already apart for a valve job or rebuild.
Particularly in a mildly tuned, low compression stock
engine, where the valves don't really get hammered with
violent cam action and stiff spring pressures, at high
RPM's.

My feeling is that lead additives are probably not
necessary for most of these applications, and represent
an unneeded expense, unless we are talking about a
street Hemi or some other vintage musclecar mill.

My 228 GMC six did not have hardened seats, and I never
ran it with any additives. I probably put 15 thousand
miles on it, the majority at highway speed, using only
unleaded - and on teardown after it blew a head gasket,
I noticed no appreciable valve seat recession. Total
mileage on the engine was about 60K at that point. Of
course, I had hardened seats installed as part of the
ensuing valve job. I have seen a couple of 235 heads,
and several vintage Brit motorcycle engines, in similar
condition.

As always, your results may vary, but this has been my
experience.

Jack / Winter Park FL